Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Mini Monkey Bread Cups


The dough - cutting into pieces
Butter and cinnamon sugar in the muffin cups

right out of the oven

Ready to dig in!! Yum!!!!
We love monkey bread, I mean we LOVE monkey bread. It is actually easy to make and something the entire family will eat.

This is my version. I usually make Monkey bread in a loaf pan, a bundt pan, or a springform angel food cake pan. This time I decided to make them in cupcake liners. You can also use store bought frozen dough or even canned biscuits. You don't have to make the dough from scratch. I just love to make bread. I know - I am slightly insane.

Monkey Bread Dough

1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup + 1 Tbs Sugar
1 egg
1 Tbs Salt
2 Tbs yeast (or 4 packages)
2 cups warm water
9 - 10 cups flour
1 cup of butter (more like 2 cups)

Scald you milk, add the 3/4 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup melted butter. I usually scald my milk in the microwave for about 2 minutes or so, depending on your microwave.
Let the mixture cool slightly.
Add 2 cups of flour, 1 egg and 1 Tbs salt. Stir well and allow to cool.
Combine 2 cups warm water, 2 Tbs yeast and 1 Tbs sugar - wait for it to bubble or develop.
Pour the warm milk mixture into the yeast mixture. stir. It will be a very liquid consistency.
Stir in the flour 1 cup at a time. I use my Kitchen Aid and dough hook. Add in the remaining 7 cups of flour.
Smooth into ball and cover the dough. Allow to rise until doubled in size.

For the monkey bread -
Melt 1 - 2 cups of butter
combine 1 cup sugar and 1 Tbs cinnamon

Cut the dough in small pieces, about a 1 inch ball. Dip the dough into the melted butter then into the cinnamon sugar. Place 3  - 4 pieces into a muffin cup, depending on the size of your muffin cup. Remember it will rise a but and your don't want it to over flow from the pan.

You will get about 100 muffin cups of monkey bread. I freeze mine immediately for future use.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes, depends on your oven. It may take up to 15 minutes if they are bigger and your oven bakes at a lower temp then mine.

If you freeze them, simply take then out the night before and thaw in your refrigerator.

They are ready to eat!! Let me know if you have any questions or comments. These would also be great if you do any freezer meal groups.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment