Saturday, December 24, 2011

Moravian Lemon Cookies

I make these into snowflake shapes. I can't remember where I found this recipe, I have been using it since 2003. I make a double batch of these too. It is my understanding that the Moravian community is originally from the same region of Europe as Slovakia where Carter's family originates.

Moravian Lemon Cookies
Ingredients:
2 1/3 cups cake flour (not self rising)
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/3 cup butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp milk
1 1/2 tsp lemon extract
2 Tbs grated lemon rind
confectioner's sugar for dusting

Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg in medium size bowl.
Beat the shortening and butter in a bowl until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes
Beat in egg
Beat in milk, lemon extract, and lemon rind until combined
On low speed, gradually beat in the flour mixture until combined
Cover and chill for 4 hours (I don't always do this step - it is okay if you skip it)
Heat oven to 325 degrees
Divide dough ini half and roll out dough about 1/4 inch thick
Use the cutters to cut the cookies
Bake for 12 - 14 minutes
Transfer to a rack and cool for 10 minutes. Dust with the powder sugar.

Store in air tight container.

Enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment